Saturday, May 10, 2008

Nutella... Sweet Nutella


It just isn't possible for me to let Nutella sit in the cupboard. That's just plain wrong, and since I wasn't planning on making more banana bread with it, I decided to make some cupcakes with a Nutella frosting. This could be my best idea ever, but definitely not to Glenn because he hates hazelnut, which is a shame because that keeps me from adding it in any way shape or form to my baking. Since Calogero is coming over, I decided that it would be a good idea and hurry up and make some cupcakes so he can take them away from me. I decided against making a hazelnut flavored cupcake, my original idea, and went with a chocolate cupcake flavored with Kahlua Hazelnut. I would have used Frangelico if we had it, but since we don't drink and Glenn hates the flavor, I picked up a cheaper bottle of Hazelnut flavored Kahlua (Frangelico was 32 dollars!). Long story shortened into one word... AMAZING! I love it when I make something that literally excites me so much that I don't mind cleaning up the mess I made to kill the time until I can eat my goodies. Oh yeah, and since a recipe I found for a Nutella frosting had an incorrect temperature listed, which made me ruin the batch, I continued on and winged it. The frosting on top wasn't as pretty as I would like because I was up so late and just needed to finish up and go to bed. Next time I will make more frosting so I can make the lovely swirly on top.

Update: Calogero came over while I was gone and ate about 6 of the cupcakes. He then said they made him feel tired and lazy. Hmmm....


Chocolate Hazelnut Kahlua Cupcakes (Makes about 2 dozen)

12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) butter at room temp
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 1/4 cups sugar + 1/4 cup
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 large eggs, separated, at room temp
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 cup Hazelnut Kahlua or Frangelico (anything hazelnut flavored really)
2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and place muffin liners in cups of regular size muffin tin.

Cream together butter, cocoa, 1 1/4 cups sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add egg yolks and beat for 4 minutes.

Combine Kahlua and water in a separate bowl. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a separate bowl.

Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture alternating with the flour mixture and the Kahlua, starting and ending with the flour mix.

Beat egg whites on high in a separate bowl until soft peaks form with an electric mixer with clean beaters. Gradually beat in the remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Fold the mixture into the batter with a rubber spatula.


Fill cupcake liners 1/2 to 2/3 full and bake for 18 to 22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in the pan for 5 minutes and then remove cupcakes and fully cool on wire racks.


Nutella Frosting (makes about 2 cups, frosts 1 dozen cupcakes)

1/2 cup Nutella
5 tablespoons softened butter
2-3 tablespoons milk
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Beat together nutella, butter, and milk in a medium bowl with electric mixer until light, about 1 minute. Gradually add powdered sugar 1/4 cup at a time, beating on high for fluffier frosting and low speed for a denser frosting.

No comments:

I Got Your Crazy

Labels