Saturday, May 3, 2008

Almost As Good As King's Hawaiian

I always loved whenever we went to the grocery store to pick up dinner because we were too lazy to make it that night. Why, do you ask? Well, because with that lovely grocery store made dinner there was always a bread companion. That companion was always King's Hawaiian Bread. I thought to myself recently, when we were having a somewhat Hawaiian themed dinner and I was feeling particularly adventurous, I decided to find a recipe, and find I did.

Unfortunately though, I misread the directions the first time and didn't realize how long the dough had to proof. However, this did not stop me from continuing in my adventure. Dinner went on without the bread though, and we had Hawaiian bread late that night.

The bread was really good, but who knows when I will ever make it again. Besides, it just looks like a golden mound of sweet yeasty goodness. In the off chance that I make this anytime soon, I will post a picture.

Hawaiian Sweet Bread

7 to 7 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup mashed potato flakes
2/3 cup sugar
2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup pineapple juice
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Combine 3 cups flour with the next five ingredients in a large mixing bowl. In a small saucepan, heat milk, water, butter, and juice to 120-130 degrees F. Add to dry ingredients and beat just until moistened. Add eggs and beat until smooth. Beat in vanilla and then stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.

Turn dough onto a floured work surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.

Punch dough down, and turn into a lightly floured surface. Divide into thirds and shape each into a ball. Place in three greased 9 inch round baking pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.

Bake at 375 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cover loosely with foil if top browns too quickly. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Makes 3 loaves.

No comments:

I Got Your Crazy

Labels