Saturday, May 3, 2008

Cupcakes Anyone?

I love cupcakes. I don't think I know anyone who doesn't love cupcakes. My husband doesn't like frosting very much, but he still loves when I make cupcakes unfrosted for him (kind of blasphemous in my opinion). I got this great cupcake book as a wedding gift, simply called Cupcakes! by Einor Klivans, and I have found nothing but success from here.

Everyone needs a great classic yellow cupcake recipe, and from there you can spin it all sorts of ways. The tops bake up to my slightly crunchy and perfectly sweet. There is also a great chocolate cupcake in there that I modified to make Peanut Butter Cup Cupcakes. Back to the yellow though, it actually tastes great unfrosted! Imagine that!

I can always use more cupcakes, well my waistline could pass on them, but whenever I get to making some, I will definitely put up some pictures of them all dressed up and pretty.

Easy-Mix Yellow Cupcake Batter (makes 12 regular cupcakes, 9 big-top cupcakes, 6 extra-large cupcakes, or 42 mini cupcakes)

1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup canola or corn oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup sour cream

Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl and set aside.

Beat, in a large bowl, the egg, yolk, and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until thickened and lightened to a cream color, about 2 minutes.

Stop the mixer and scrape the sides of the bowl as needed during mixing. On low speed, mix in the oil and vanilla until blended. Mix in the sour cream until no white streaks remain. Mix in the flour mixture until it is incorporated and the batter is smooth. The batter is ready to bake, or for additions such as nuts, fruits, or other flavorings.

No comments:

I Got Your Crazy

Labels