Saturday, May 3, 2008

The Cookie With No Name

I made these cookies for a Christmas party last year and they were SO good! They're called Chocolatiest Crinkles which is a name I despise. I actually don't make them the same way so the name ultimately becomes irrelevant, but my husband and I cannot seem to come up with a better name, or even just a name that doesn't suck. This is yet another great recipe from my great book Luscious Chocolate Desserts by Lori Longbotham.

I would put up a picture of these if I had one. I just never have an excuse to make this many cookies, but in the event that I do, a picture will follow. In the meantime, there is a beautiful picture of the cookies in the cookbook.

Chocolatiest Crinkles (or whatever you want to call them)

5 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup powdered sugar

Melt the chocolate in a double boiler, whisking until smooth. remove the bowl from the heat and set aside.

Whisk together the lour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl. Beat the butter with an electric mixer on medium speed in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add the granulated and brown sugars and beat until smooth. Add the melted chocolate and beat until well blended. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until well blended. Reduce the speed to low and add the flour mixture in three batches, beating just until well blended after each addition. Transfer the dough to a small bowl, cover, and refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours, or as long as overnight.

Position the oven racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter 2 large baking sheets.

Place the powdered sugar in a small bowl. Shape the dough into 1 inch balls, roll in the powdered sugar to coat thoroughly and heavily, and place 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 8 minutes, or until the tops spring back when lightly touched. (This is where I decided to change it up. Instead of rolling the balls in the powdered sugar I just bake them as directed and then as they are cooling, I use a sifter to sprinkle powdered sugar over the cookies. I think it looks prettier and is much easier and less messy as well... to each his own.)

Cool the cookies on the baking sheets on wire racks for 2 minutes, then transfer to the racks to cool completely. (The cookies can be stored in layers separated by wax paper in an airtight container at room temperature for several days.)

No comments:

I Got Your Crazy

Labels