Tuesday, July 29, 2008

TWD: Summer Fruit Galette

This weeks TWD was much much less of an adventure than the last one. Apparently Dorie's definition of summer fruit involves peaches, apricots, nectarines, and plums. PASS. I would actually call this recipe the Cheap Fruit Galette because when I was at the grocery store I looked for the cheap fruit and bought a considerable amount of it. One pound of strawberries for $1? Check. Two mangoes for $1? Check. Four kiwi for $2? Check. Awesome. I also grabbed a bag of sweetened coconut for good measure and that was pretty cheap too. Apparently I went for some sort of tropical theme here.

I had all of the fruit for this at the beginning of last week, but something in me was reluctant to start making it. Before my strawberries molded over I gave them copious amounts of sugar in a nice Rubbermaid container and then a nice big shake. They were perfect come time to bake. I suppose this was a fairly easy recipe to make, the pie dough is very easy, I just used a pastry blender*. I do have to say though, mangoes are a PAIN to cut, or maybe it was just the one I had. Anyway, I enjoyed this recipe and had no real issues, although it was much prettier pre-bake. I would like to know when I will start assembling heavy, fragile desserts on the pans instead of on a bare counter. Last time, for the Danish Braid, I made it on the counter and had quite a predicament when it came time to lift that heavy thing to the pan. Again, I assembled my galette on a bare counter, but thankfully I had an almost big enough pancake spatula to save me. In any event, thank you to Michelle of Michelle in Colorado Springs for picking a fun recipe that is very easy to play with according to the season. This weeks TWD in one word: Fruity.

* When I first got married and moved in with Glenn I found this very strange utensil in one of the kitchen drawers that I had never seen before. The best we could come up with is some strange kind of potato masher. I didn't even find out until like a couple of months ago that the strange contraption was a pastry blender. Ever since then I have been excited to use it for stuff, I don't know why though. Kind of a lot of work that a food processor could do for you.

7 comments:

Christine said...

Wow I love the tropical theme that is going on! Your galette looks delicious, I was going to try kiwis but wasn't sure how it would turn out!

Jules Someone said...

Sounds delicious! I use my pastry blender more often then not these days. It's just as easy, and much easier to clean.

Linda said...

I like how you put your personal twist on the recipe! Great job!

Pamela said...

The tropical theme was a neat idea. Hope you guys enjoyed it!

Nickki said...

Looks delicious! Love the tropical theme :)

Tara said...

mmmm...kiwis...looks good!

Bungalow Barbara said...

Great choice of fruits and I love the coconut topping! Galettes are so versatile. Good job!

I Got Your Crazy

Labels