Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Aha! An Inspiration

I have to admit, when I started gathering ingredients for this week's TWD, I looked at the biscuit topping and went "ugh, that looks so... plain," but I was good and didn't change it. Well, I added raw sugar to the top, but that isn't really changing it. Anyway, after I tasted it, I thought it was delicious and I thought that they would make great scones.

In fact, they do make great scones. I tweaked the recipe here and there, but not much. Here is my interpretation of the biscuit top on the cherry rhubarb cobbler that turned into some tasty morsels.

Brown Sugar Pecan Scones (makes 8-12 scones)

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter cut into 1/4 inch squares
1 cup milk (whole is best)
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
raw sugar (optional)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Whisk
together everything but butter, milk, vanilla, and pecans. (I like the inconsistency a fork gets over the uniformity of a whisk.)

Cut the butter into the dry mixture using a pastry blender (pinching with your fingers works well, as does mashing a sturdy whisk into it and turning but be careful not to overwork the dough.)

Add the milk and vanilla and give it a few stirs with a sturdy wooden spoon. Add in the chopped pecans and stir until everything is incorporated. (It is best to stir as little as possible)

Shape dough very gently into whatever you want and place on a baking sheet. Generously sprinkle raw sugar over the scones and press down gently.

Bake for 15-20 minutes depending on how soft or crumbly you want them. I think they are best at 18.

1 comment:

Nickki said...

Wow, I like your way of thinking! They look great as scones :)

I Got Your Crazy

Labels