Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Everything Is Black and White

Our drain backed up again for like the millionth time. Funny thing is, it only seems to back up when I actually do the dishes. I swear I don't do it on purpose. Anyway, I wanted to bake tonight, but a backed up drain makes it really difficult to clean dishes afterwards, so I wasn't sure if I was going to go forward. We went to safeway and bought a bottle of liquid plumber. (Did you know you have to use the WHOLE bottle?!?!) After pouring it down the sink, a couple hours later the back up was back down. Hmmm... I guess I will be doing dishes after all.

The drain is the reason I made cookies and not cupcakes today. Cupcakes are time consuming, but worth it. However, since I have not been sleeping well, I decided to do something that would not require me to be up all night since I wasn't getting started until roughly 7 pm. The cookies took me an hour. Yay.

These cookies are wickedly chocolate in flavor (it uses a cup and a quarter of cocoa!) with a nice touch of super sweetness every time you bite into a white chocolate chip. This is one of my favorite kinds of cookie. My favorite is from Paradise Bakery actually, the yummy little chippers. I used to work there actually, and I had access to ALL of the recipes, but I am apparently too stupid to have written the best ones down. Oh well. These are great cookies, you should try them, and they are really easy to make too.

One more thing. I have discovered the amazing baking ingredient that is Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa. Even better is I have discovered it for only $2.34 at Super Target. But now to the bad news. I only bought one container to try for a certain recipe a while ago. That is when I realized how much I was missing by using regular cocoa. So I went back to Target, and guess what. No HSDC. I ask the boy and he says they receive new stock the next day. We go in a couple days later, no HSDC. GRRRR... I'm getting angry now. I have since been back to the same Target about 5 more times and every single time, no HSDC. I come to notice that they haven't even been restocking their regular cocoa. What is up with this? Hello!!!! Holiday baking people, we need HSDC! How frustrating. Whenever I see it in stock though, I am going to get all Supermarket Sweep on the shelf and just knock every single container of HSDC in my cart. I gotta stock up. Phew.... vent over.


1 3/4 cups flour
1 1/4 cups cocoa powder
1 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsps. baking soda
1 cup butter
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
2 cups white chocolate chips


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease cookie sheet.

2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar and white sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well with each addiction. Add the salt and vanilla.

3. In another bowl, combine the flour, cocoa and baking soda and gradually add to the creamed mixture. Fold in chocolate chips. Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheet.

4. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until fluffy but still soft. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Yields about 36 cookies
Recipe Courtesy of Genesis of a Cook

No comments:

I Got Your Crazy

Labels