Saturday, May 3, 2008

A Little Chunk of Heaven

Brownies from a box are pretty good. Unless you have tried brownies from scratch though, you haven't quite tasted how heavenly a brownie can truly be. In one of my favorite cook books that I got at my bridal shower, Luscious Chocolate Desserts by Lori Longbotham, I have found one of the most sinful brownies I have ever made/tasted. Of course, being the chocolate addict that I am, I chose to forgo the nuts in the recipe in favor of chocolate chips, while the author suggests using cocoa nibs.

Pictures will come as soon as I make these again, which cannot be that long away.

Katharine Hepburn's Brownies

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 cup walnuts (optional)

Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Butter and flour an 8 inch square baking pan.

Melt the butter and chocolate in double boiler and whisk until smooth. Remove from the heat and add the sugar, eggs, and vanilla and whisk until well blended. Add the flour and salt and whisk until just blended. Stir in the walnuts and then transfer the batter to the prepared pan.

Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out sticky, with just a few crumbs clinging to it, but is wet. Do not overbake.

Cool completely on a wire rack. Chill if you have the time, and then cut into 9 large brownies.

No comments:

I Got Your Crazy

Labels